Sunday, May 14, 2006

Thanks for the memories...

My son brought home a portfolio last week from school holding several pieces of his artwork. Apparently he is not as prolific at school as he is at home, as there were only 3 pieces of art from the entire year. At home he goes through 3 pieces of paper in a minute.

I never know which art and projects to keep. Should I keep the ones that look the best or the ones with holiday meaning , like a Passover seder plate? Or, should I keep just the ones that mark milestones, like the paper that has nothing on it but three Ns, marking the first time he started to write his name?

So far, I have kept most of the art, but in a cleaning frenzy last year, I threw 99% of it away. I find though that it is not the art that I want to hold onto but the special and silly moments that happen and are gone before you can mark them. For example, my 3 year old is obsessed at the moment with his little brother's cheeks. He keeps kissing & poking them saying, "I can't help it, he has the cheekiest cheeks."

It drives the baby bonkers, but I just want to keep hearing Nate's voice saying "cheekiest cheeks!" Or this morning, when he came into our room for our AM wakeup call, he bypassed my side of the bed; went straight for Matt and said, "Daddy wake up. It's Mommy's day off. It's Mother's Day." It happened too quickly to get a camcorder out, and it won't resonate as nicely in his baby book.

It is these memories and moments that don't fit into a portfolio but hold so much meaning for me, because they come and go so quickly.

No comments: