Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Can a 4 year old be sexist?

I am not sure whether it is developmental or a precursor of things to come, but Nate has become a bit of a sexist pig lately. For example, today he announced, "Boys are faster runners than girls." When discussing his upcoming birthday party, he is quite clear that he wants no "girl" things in the goody bags. "Nothing pink or princess!," he announced with disdain dripping from each syllable uttered. When picking colors for cups or shovels etc... he chooses BLUE, cause pink is for girls! He is also taking it into more serious actions, by choosing only to play with boys at school. He wants nothing to do with the girls. I know this is a stage most boys and girls reach, but I am a bit concerned about his emphatic nature regarding gender.

I am trying to fight this by reminding him that some girls like pink and some like blue. Some boys like pink and some like blue. I really dont know where his stereotyping is coming from. Both Matt & I try to be really careful about gender roles and expectations. Yet, somehow gender pervasive myth has crept into Nate's vocabulary.

It may be the shows he watches on tv, but somehow I dont think so. His favorite show is Bindi the Jungle girl- a reality show about Bindi Irwin, heir apparent to the Croc hunter. Clearly, a strong female character. His superhero fetish isn't contributing either. He knows Wonderwoman can kick some serious butt. So where do kids get their ideas? Where is Nate learning that all girls like princesses, pink and tea parties?

Should I back off and attribute this to typical (almost) 5 year old behavior? Or, do I fight battle after battle reminding him that it is ok for girls to play soccer and boys can dance like Angelina Ballerina? Any thoughts? Ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup. Four year olds are sexist. It's just the developmental thing... They taught us all that in nursing school, and since I don't work with the wee ones any more (sad sigh) I have forgotten exactly why. It's an identity thing, developmentally appropriate and completely normal. You can Google Erikson's developmental stages if you really want to know more.

My daughter (who is now 20) was a HUGE tomboy for about a week and raled against the word "tomboy". She insisted that she wasn't a tomboy, but a tomGIRL.

The guy I'm dating STILL won't wear pink - makes me wonder!