Tuesday, July 24, 2007

No Harry Potter Spoilers- I promise

It would be remiss of me not to mention the major event of the last week, since many of you know me to be a HUGE Harry Potter fan. Of course I finished it within 12 hours of its release, but I promise, no spoilers. The release of Deathly Hallows was a large event, in part because it caused many fans to reflect on the last ten years of their life since the first book came out. (or whenever they became a fan)

I first read Harry Potter in 1998. I read book 1 & 2 in a weekend. Matt & I were on vacation when book 3 came out and we sat by the pool in Palm Beach and read. When we moved to Pasadena, I attended the midnight release party for Book 4 and stayed up all night reading. We were back in DC for books 5 & 6 and Matt waited on line for me at Borders. I had a new baby and was not waiting up. Same goes for book 7. There was no midnight party for me nor, reading till dawn.

Thus, my earlier point about the reflection of life's changes since Philosopher's/Sorcerers Stone. I know many teenagers and young adults are reading The Deathly Hallows and reflecting on their accomplishments similar to Harry's at age 17. Though there are no O.W.L.s for them or battles with Dark Wizards, there are SATs, college applications and first jobs to contend with. All are big changes from the Bar mitzvahs, acne and driving tests they had while reading the earlier books.

For adults the changes are not as pronounced, but they are there.The vacation we took for Book 3 was to celebrate my Grandmother's 80th birthday. She has since passed away. I had no children for Books 1-4. I had one child for books 5 & 6. For book seven, I have two children, and not just babies; children old enough to recognize Harry Potter on the cover of the book and in all the posters around town.

I have a feeling we have not heard the last of JK Rowling and her wonderful world of wizardry. I can't wait to see where I am in life when we next meet up with the next Hogwarts generation

No comments: