Saturday, March 11, 2006

I'm Lovin' it!

So we had a first tonight. We have made it 3 1/2 years without introducing our children to the iconographic American institution that is the Golden Arches, more specifically, the drive-through, and it had been at least 3 more before that since Matt & I had entered a McDonalds.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not an organic, homemade babyfood type of gal. Just this morning, Nate & I split a bag of jelly beans, then licked the bowl of brownie batter. But, we keep kosher so most of the major fast-food chains hold no appeal for us since there is nothing we can eat on the menu. (one exception is Subway, which is a frequent destination for us)

However, tonight, Nate picked a chocolate milkshake for his dessert treat. We were out in Kensington, so I suggested we just swing into MickeyD's for the shake. It just did not occur to Matt & me, until it was happening, that we had just introduced both our boys to the world of fast food.

First we pulled into the 24 hour drive through where we sat like idiots not knowing which speaker to place our order into. Nate was highly curious about this process,
"Is this our parking space?"
Then we pulled around to pay.
"Do we go in now Daddy?"


After paying Matt pulled forward to the next window, then we panicked. Who would deliver the food; had we erroneously pulled up?
"Where's my chocolate milk shake daddy?!?!"
They must have felt the bewilderment coming out of the car since someone came over to reassure us that shakes would be arriving shortly. Speaking of short, when the children's shake arrived it was not small- it was at least 10 oz.

Both boys grasped their cups contentedly and sat back safely beneath their 5 point harnesses and sipped at the sickly sweet concoction, that legally is just called a shake, cause it has no milk. Nate examined his cup.
"Who's this guy?"

"That's Ronald McDonald."

"Who's that"

"uuuuhhhh, a clown. How's your shake?"

I am now officially panicked that the boys will recognize the golden arches and I will have screaming fits begging for milk shakes when I drive by. Then it will only be a matter of time before they notice the menu outside has pictures of chicken nuggets and fries AND toys, usually from their favorite movies. Oy, I guess I am finding an alternative route to River Road, the only McDonalds we regularly drive by.

No comments: