Sunday, May 28, 2006

Responsibility part deux

It occured to me that I sounded sanctimonious about responsibility and how great I am for not getting drunk or putting on my iPod too loudly. Let me share some dirty little (and not so little secrets):

1) I have no Will- if something were to happen to me & my husband, it's a toss-up as to who gets the boys and what money they will have.

2) I have no life insurance and neither does my husband (this is not actually our fault, as we have applied several times and were refused based on a minor heart condition)

3) I have no emergency provisions packed despite living less than a mile from the White House, Capitol and NORAD back-up site.

4) I have no house alarm despite 5 robberies, 1 murder and 3 escaped mental patients occuring on my street, and my husband travels about 2 weeks of every month. (if you are a person with evil intent, let me assure you, I do have a black belt in karate and a raging case of herpes**)

I am sure there are other horrible things that I am irresponsible about, but those are the biggies that come to mind easily. Yikes! I am making it a goal to get those resolved, cause I do often wake up in a cold-sweat, panicking.

And speaking of that kind of responsibility and loss of freedom, there was a HORRIBLE story in the news yesterday about a father who threw his children off a 15 story balcony then jumped himself. It is hard for me to formulate complete thoughts and sentences about this. I get physically nauseated even thinking about it. Obviously something triggered a breakdown in this man to be able to hurt his children in this way.

To me, it seems suicide is the ultimate cop-out on responsibility if you are a parent. In some ways I understand though and can see it as a medical issue. Some people can die of cancer or heart attack, and some die of suicide caused by a mental disease. It is hard for me though to see murder of your children in this light. My heart just goes out to this mom; how does one ever recover from something like this. I know she never will, but how does one even get up and out of bed in the morning?

OK, now I am sad, and I promise something more lighthearted next time.


**I will send stickers to anyone who can name the movie that quote is stolen from.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the quote is from heathers

Anonymous said...

No! Ferris Bueller's Day Off, right? When the sister hears the principal breaking into the house!

Lynne Silver said...

Ding ding ding! Ferris Buellers it is!