Sunday, September 10, 2006

Chubby Chase Day!!

I love my neighborhood. The other day, the boys & I walked (not drove) to Ct. Ave to get them a haircut, return our library books, buy some sneakers & grab some lunch. How lovely to walk and do all our errands on 2 blocks.

Though DC is a large and diverse community, walking through our neighborhood feels like Smalltown USA. We ran into 3 friends out walking their errands too, and to our delight ran into friends at lunch and were able to join them to eat.

After spending a week in Los Angeles, my love for DC and my neighborhood was renewed two-fold. I forgot what a big concrete jungle LA is. You have to really search for beauty and green serenity. It felt like we were always in a car, and you could not even walk a few blocks to run errands. Even driving on the Beltway here is so much prettier thanks to green medians and tree surrounds.

But, getting back to my neighborhood, today was Chevy Chase. Or, "Chubby Chase Day" as Nate called it. A good chunk of the community gathered at the main st. to watch a parade and bounce on moonbounces and paint faces. All the stores had sidewalk sales & the restaurants had cheap deals. We had perfect weather and we had a ball. Ironically, I only ran into one friend. We even got to schmooze with all the mayoral and ward 3 candidates. I have met the top 3 candidates for mayor, so it will feel very personal whoever wins since I have met him or her. (though personally I am rooting for Marie Johns. To learn why I am rooting for her, see her website at http://www.johnsformayor.com/.)

OK, off my soap box now, I have to go get Nate ready for his 1st day of school tomorrow!

No comments: