Thursday, September 14, 2006

Preschool Politics

Nate has been in school a full week now and he seems to like it. Several of the children in his class were also in his class last year. One of the girls was a big admirer of Nate's last year and we had one or two drop-off playdates with her, despite Nate inexplicably professing his dislike for her.

He had told me clearly that he was not interested in playdates with her, but I overrode him since I am friendly with her mother. I was fascinated to watch their interactions during the playdate expecting to see her annoy Nate or be otherwise ubnoxious. However, she was totally sweet and adorable in her attempts to engage Nate in play. Nate however totally ignored her and gave her the cut-direct as he played with other toys. For the life of me, I could not see what his problem with her was, but it was clear he wanted nothing to do with her.

So, they are together again, and apparently, she is begging her mom for Nate playdates and talking about Nate. Nate, however, was unimpressed and said he was "too busy with work for a playdate with her. He could however take some time off for a playdate with Ben or Oren. "

Now, what do I do? I smile politely and noncommitally each time the mom mentions a playdate, cause how can I tell her that my son does not like her friendly and adorable daughter! Any ideas? help!

I also find it amusing that girls always seem to choose the wrong guys for them. Somewhere in the preschool, there is a little boy begging his mom for playdates with Nate's spurned girlfriend!

1 comment:

Anastasia Konstantakatou said...

hahaha funny age for boys and girls.. wait till he gets older a little.

ps. i love the word "playdate"
ps.2 teenagers and college kids should be "studydating"?!?