Thursday, September 07, 2006

The former USSR on Northampton St.

My boys have really wide feet. I can't go to the local Payless and spend $12 on character shoes for them. Oh no, nothing but Stride Rite or Geox for my little darlings' toesies. At $50/per I like a little fashion for my money.

Nate is outgrowing the need for light-up fire trucks and dinosaurs. Jacob is growing into that phase. So, when my boys need shoes, like most Upper NW moms, I head for the local kids shoe store on Northampton St. You all know where I am talking about.

The store is an institution. I think most DC NW kids get their first pair of Robeez or walkers there. However, recently, I have come to the conclusion that this store is like restaurants in the Soviet Union in the Eighties.

As a child, my husband traveled with his family to the USSR. Think Cold War, Glasnost, just starting. Matt told me that they would go to restaurants with 3-4 page detailed menus, but when they went to order, only 2-3 things would actually be available.

That has been my experience everytime I shop for shoes at this particular store. They have walls and walls of choices, but never actually the shoe I want in the right size. I always end up with some plain ugly white leather sneaker.

Today I resisted the temptation to just buy them anyway. I stood firm and said, "No, thanks!" So, now I am headed to the River Road shoe store with the Rocket shoe (you know the one). Or, I may try New Balance.

Wish me luck.

No comments: