Monday, September 18, 2006

Going Gray

Nate is a worry wart. If all is sunny in the world, he will find something to stress over. He is currently worried about getting old, specifically gray hair. A few months ago, as I mentioned, my Grandma died. Nate was reassured that people die when they are ,"very, very, very old."

A few days ago, he saw someone with gray hair and asked about it. I told him that peoples' hair turns gray as they get older, and that Grandma has gray hair and Bubbe has gray hair, and that I would get gray hair in a few years. (I then had to add that Grandma and Bubbe put special, "paint chemicals" in their hair to make it brown.) He thought about it for a few minutes, that sobbed, "I don't want you to die. I will miss you!"

He definitly equated gray hair=old=death. Though, I am sure many women feel that way when plucking their first gray roots, I had to comfort him that bodies change as they grow. Then we had a long talk about how his body had changed as he had grown. We looked at pictures from his baby photo album and compared his baby body to his current body. No hair, fat, wiggly arms, no teeth, much shorter.

I love and I hate these parenting moments, because they how insight into his mind and allow us to share a teachable moment. But, they also remind me of how in control I am of his perceptions and his phenomenology. It is a scary and powerful thing to be a teacher and parent.

No comments: