Monday, June 19, 2006

I'm going to work!

Well, maybe, no I don't think so. I do work part-time from home, but Linda Hirshmans article in the Post made me reconside my SAHM position. I like the way she thinks, but without reading her full book, I can't critique it one way or the other.

I do find certain humor in being one of the many Mommy Bloggers out there whom she mentions. I am not quite sure how I ended up here as a SAHM taking on 95% of domestic chores, though my husband pitches in. A Lot. He does most of the grocery shopping (I make the list and cook the food), he gets gas for my car, he does the laundry 75% of the time, he drives the boys to school in the morning and drops off dry cleaning on the way, he reads them stories at night, and so on.

Wait a minute...what the Hell do I do all day, if he is doing all that?!?!? Blogging for one thing! ;-) And building elaborate lego zoos and garages. And buying teacher presents and organizing swim lessons.

Maybe I should go back to work full time, I wouldn't mind the paycheck and I think I would get more done. That's right. I would get more done, because by staying home and having infinte time, I get caught up in the minutae and create loads of little things to do.

Buying baskets to organize library books at the Container Store becomes a whole event. Organizing outgrown clothes by size in dustproof containers takes more time. If I went to work, I would simply work, come home, make dinner, clean it & go to bed. Maybe a load of laundry would get done, or I could afford resources to do the laundry for me!!

Oooh, work is looking tempting. But, who would sit with Nate & eat popsicles, or dig for treasure in the bag yard? I hate to cop-out, but I really have no answer. Are there any countries where there is balance? If I went back to work, who would watch my children? Decent daycares & nannies charge more per hour than I make after taxes.

It is NOT fair, I would like to work, but I do want to be home with my kids when they get home from school. My mom was home then went back to work, so I did the home with mom and latch-key thing. I liked when she was home. Selfish of me, I know, but there you have it.

Ok, this American dilemma is not getting solved tonight, and certainly not by my blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Buying baskets to organize library books at the Container Store becomes a whole event. Organizing outgrown clothes by size in dustproof containers takes more time.

I do belive I am committing incest, as this is me and I am married to your brother, making you me and therefore me his sister!

Also, I hear you on the work/sahm issue - I left work at 4:15 today so as not to miss any more play time with Vivi!