Monday, June 12, 2006

In touch

My 3, nearly 4, year-old is should be a sixties love child. He is very in touch with his feelings and able to verbalize it to the point of being melodramatic. (Insert slow, sad, deep voice) "Mommy. I'm feeling very sad today cause I miss Grandpa." I try to listen to him, acknowledge his feelings but not let him wallow.

So, today I decided as a treat to take him to see Cars the new Pixar movie. It was his second time going to the movie theater and he knew popcorn and candy would be involved. He was pretty psyched. My babysitter arrived at 2:00 pm, and I RACED to Wheaton, stopping for gas on Plyers Mill, ran into Target looking for Superman water sandals (no luck), and dashed into Giant for a weekly Supermarket shop, and made it back home to pick up Nate by 3:15 for a 3:30 movie.

Luckily the theater is just a few blocks from my house. We got our tickets and qeued for popcorn along with 20 other preschool boys and their moms. We waited in line for about 12 minutes for popcorn then finally got to our seats missing the previews. We sat through about 6 minutes of the movie when Nate announced it was too scary and he wanted to leave.

I had one of those "aaaarrrggh" moments. Did I really just bust my ass getting errands done so I could treat you to a movie only to get rejected. I also was not sure, was he really scared, or just acting contrary? I questioned him gently. No, he was emphatic. "Let's go home!"

So we left. The manager was nice and refunded the movie tix to my credit card and we went home and played in the backyard. No pressure to Nate, just a compliment for being smart enough to leave if he was scared.

Lesson learned:
1) Don't get Nate movie coupons for his birthday
2) AMC kid packs come with jolly ranchers not M&MS, so bring your own.

No comments: